Gangtok, October 01:
The Affected Citizens of Teesta (ACT) had called off the relay hunger strike on September 27 following an official letter from the Chief Secretary with offers of table talk among others, thus bringing an end to 915 days of ‘historic’ protest in the Himalayan State.
The letter dated September 19 had requested ACT to withdraw the relay hunger strike which had been going sinc e June 20, 2007. It also contained offer of table talk as a step towards solving the issue with ‘much more concrete’ assurance.
The letter of assurance came from the Government in response to the letter written by ACT on August 2009 raising the ‘illegalities’ of land acquisition for the Hydel Project Developers.
“After thorough deliberation in our meeting at BL House , it was decided that as a confidence building steps towards further initiatives for solving the issue with the Government ACT withdrew the hunger strike,” said Dawa Lepcha, the General Secretary of ACT while speaking to Sikkim Express correspondent.
He further informed that once the puja vacation are over date would be fixed for metting with the government.
“Our main agenda for metting would be scrapping off the major Panang and Teesta stage IV hydel projects in Dzongu”, Mr Lepcha said.
He added that the relay hunger strike has been a massive success for delivering awareness of hydel projects issues in the state on National aas well as Internationally. This huger strike has been an instrumental approach towards awakening the voice of people against the sprouting hydel projects within the Himalayan state.
At the same time they would continue to camp at BL house, Tibet Road unless the things are resolved in totality.(source:www.voiceofsikkim.com)